Monday, February 15, 2016

Some days we're too busy for photos

Working all day, focusing on one thing. The entrance to the niche. It started out wild and had to be chipped away to accommodate the form. The coup de gras was the "pillowcase" lancet arch on top.

I had to chip 30 lbs of "cured" stabilized earth out of the bags. I smacked my knuckle every 10th chisel. What is a finishing hammer anyway and why is it so mean?

Notice the hard chunks of stabilized earth on the ground. That big chunk fell on my foot.

You cannot over-support a frame ;) Trust me.
I think we really created something beautiful today! The little space is for your lantern, Rumi poetry book, drink, etc.
Oh btw, The ridge visible behind the doorway, and main dome is Flat Top Mesa, part of the new Sand to Snow National Monument created by President Obama! Wait you mean you can see a National Park FROM your house?! yeah, I guess so! See, it IS real! http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/nlcs/Sand-to-Snow.html

... And this shot taken off Hwy 62 facing Mission Creek Preserve shows a beautiful area also part of the new Sand to Snow National Monument!  https://www.flickr.com/photos/blmcalifornia/sets/72157647014279350