Wednesday, February 24, 2016

A break from the grunt grind!

Today was cool! Instead of doing more dome rows, Jon and I started the day by actually permanently  attaching the door to the frame. Then I installed the window. I used a foaming insulating sealing product called "Great Stuff" and it seemed to work. I misjudged the amount I'd need, or rather how much was in the can. I got about halfway around the door frame and realized I probably wouldn't have enough for the window, so I switched to the window and barely had enough for that. After the door and window installation, we started the leaning arch. We could have probably finished it or at least done 2 more rows but the door and window killed a lot of time and I am satisfied with our ability to lock the dome,, that sounds weird. "yeah, I locked the dome before I left, no biggie..." HA!!! Its pretty amazing to think that we created a (very small) space, a place, an interior location.

From inside the small dome. 



I like these views, they feel very architectural. Perfect, but chaotically imperfect.

Shimming the jam, shim it up while the door is jumping and the jam is pumping.

More shim & jam. 
Great Stuff in the window, I'll possibly do a bead of epoxy or silicone before plastering for strength.

The word on the street is that a razor "should" get the stuff off the glass.
The way the symmetry and beauty of form happened organically is breathtaking!
I tripped, over thunk it and didn't think I had a good enough angle. But, I am actually pretty happy with this, there is barbed wire between every layer and in some cases it is woven, connecting the bags.
Leaning Arch aka Lancet Vault is happening... 
Window in, reflection of sunset and Joshua Tree. Oh btw, the flat mesa at the horizon which intersects the dome is Flat Top Mesa, part of the new "Sand to Snow" National Monument!

Above the door looking down. Ninja School is in session! 
5 minutes later it the sunset was INSANE. It was really red, but I was over the door balancing and tamping.

The pipe is temporary. Another surprise feature going in there. Stay tuned. Go visit innerspacestation.org to relax.

When I first saw a leaning arch and then now for sure, I think of Iron Maiden's Powerslave cover art!
Into the abyss I'll fall the eye of Horus
Into the eyes of the night watching me go
Green is the cat's eye that glows in this temple
Enter the risen Osiris risen again

Try to imagine how AWESOME it really was in reality. If only there was a device that could capture an analog representation of the image, maybe on some sort of celluloid or paper medium. But that would be horribly inefficient and dirty. This is a picture of the moon and Joshua Trees btw. :(