Thursday, July 20, 2017

Plastics, my boy!

    Plastic Cement that is. This stuff smells like a pool, I can't describe why, but it does. Well what can I say, I made 2 super batches and pored it onto the top of the entrance arch and top of the dome. A bucket at a time, big quad day, its like doing squats on a cliff. Climb up, dump, pat, smooth, climb down, repeat. This wet cement mix is very heavy, so heavy that my buckets tore along some cracks that had been developing for a while. 

I think this is a rabbit hole.
It's in the hole dug from the first dome, the future site of the brewery/cellar.
Notice the practically perfect lancet arch, and the angle of repose.
That is what gives the dome its strength.
A dome is an arch ROTATED around it's center!
Plop! I smoothed a bit more after this. After half an hour or so, you can smooth it and work out the cracks. But don't fear cracks. 
From this angle it doesn't look like I covered a lot. It's 2 full wheelbarrows worth!
Same, all those nooks and crannies ate up the mix!
I want it smooth, but there is this little ledge I want to keep.
I climbed the big dome :)