Friday, July 21, 2017

Chill Friday

     I came to the Domes today and was pleasantly surprised how the plaster had dried. There was a little cracking due to evaporation and settling as to be expected but it looks really strong and smooth.

    I had to do some chiseling around the lower window because the pipe had settled pointing down to the inside. It must point down toward the outside to prevent any possible water coming in. That meant I had to chisel out a groove on the row below the window. which I should have set when that row was still wet. Oops. I remembered on the upper window. Well it all turned out fine and it set nicely, especially after I added the 80/20 Earth/Cement mix in the gaps. I started using a big orange Homer bucket to carry mix to my plastering spot because the other buckets are disintegrating and I am staying on the ground for the next few days. Okay, maybe I'll need to get on the scaffold the next build day, which is most likely Monday, unless Raquel really really wants to plaster on Sunday, I think she'd rather go day trippin' in the canyons somewhere.

You gotta plaster in between the rows first, rough is good, it gives the next layer something to stick to.. 
I din't wan't to cover it all in one go because it could slump off easier and I wanted to cover more area in the cracks.
This was the well set window, and look at the standing ledge above it. 
This is the window after I fixed it. 
Inside view of fixed window. It will get lime stucco over it. 
This was my progress.
It was a chill day. I don't think I hurt myself once. (knock on wood!)